Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Red rubbed grilled chicken (or Ashes, Ashes, Josh Ruined Dinner)

I was inspired by stole UseRealButter's All Purpose Red Rub recipe and made some myself.  It smells good, let me tell you.  I depleted several of my spices to make this delicious rub, so now I need to go to the grocery store to stock back up.

Pretty, right?

After making this rub, I threw a couple tablespoons in with 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil and massaged it onto some chicken leg quarters that cost me $1 per pound.  Seeing as how I actually had the ingredients for the rub, this ran me a whopping $4.58 for 4 chicken quarters.  That's about $1.13 per meal (my wife and I, for 2 meals).


My dog was not pleased that I was photographing by the window.

I let the meat sit in the fridge for an hour with the rub on it and then heated up my grill.  The quarters went on at low, indirect heat for about 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, I went to flip them and found that the side on the grill looked less than cooked. No char, no brown, just kind of warmed. Hmph! So after flipping them I turned the burners directly underneath the quarters on as well, on low setting. WRONG!  At this point the fatty delicious skin side of the chickens was face down. Read another way, the volatile, incendiary, highly flammable side was close to the fire.


Once again, I torched the chicken. I'm done with chicken on the grill for a while.  At least until I get my grill cleaned up instead of looking like a post-apocalyptic waste. I think done right this could have been a really good recipe. As it is I may cry myself to sleep. Hopefully the rice will help the meal. And maybe some ketchup.


Happy Eating. (for you not me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Share your successes or failures with these or other recipes. Give suggestions for substitutions. Don't be a jerk or I'll have to start moderating which is annoying.