Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tools!

I've been a bad blogger, and for that I apologize. I started nursing school last week so I'm trying to figure out a schedule for doing school, studying and everything else in between.  Rest assured I have not forgotten about you. In fact, this week we've tried several new recipes and I'm going to be working on a write up for each of them.  We didn't get pictures for them sadly but I think we'll be making them again so don't worry, we'll get there.

While I've got you here though, I'd like to take a second to talk about your kitchen tools.  It's important to have good tools, whether in the kitchen, the garage, your workbench or wherever else you need to work on stuff.  When it comes to tools you can spend very little to very much, and the kitchen is no exception.  I definitely recommend spending a little money on your tools.  I don't buy the most expensive things, because usually at that point you are mostly buying a name. However there is something to be said for not buying the cheapest brand either. Usually a higher quality brand will cost you more up front, but will last a long time.

Depending on what you need you should do a little research and brand comparison.  If you aren't going to use something very often, it may not be as important to have as high of quality.  For everyday or common use items, I'd get something a little nicer.  For example we have a Kitchenaid mixer, OXO serving-ware (tongs, ladles, large spoons, spaghetti spoon, etc.), and a Wusthof knife set.

You're probably saying, "I thought this blog was supposed to save me money, not be a marketing tool for Bed Bath and Beyond." Yes, you're right! Those brands are great but admittedly they are pretty expensive. Here are some tips on getting these things for less:

1. Get them second hand.  Some of our serving-ware is stuff my wife got from her parents when she moved to college.  They upgraded and she got the old stuff that was still quite good. And then we got married and her stuff became our stuff. Kitchen gadgets aren't always what people buy when they already have working ones, but if you know someone who is renovating, see if they have working appliances or other gadgets that are still in good condition.  Craigslist or the classifieds (I assume people still use the newspaper sometimes?) are another good place to check.  I just looked and found a $350 stand mixer that had supposedly been used once for $150. Jackpot! Use some common sense and check things out before you buy, but that's a good place to start.

2. Register for them. Most of our gadgets we got as wedding registry gifts. Find the stuff you like and register for it.  If you've registered at multiple places, register for your kitchen gadgets at all the places.  Most registry stores give you some sort of discount on the things you registered for but didn't receive after the wedding.  Here's where registering at both places can really come in handy.  If you got multiples of one item (say it was bought from both places) you can return it to one store and then use the credit to buy something you didn't get at a reduced price. Also if there are things you want that come individually as well as in sets register both ways. We did this for our knives (because they were NOT cheap) and several people bought us individual knives.  We returned them, added some gift cards and bought the block at the reduced price. The trick is registering both ways, because only things that were legitimately on your registry get a discount afterwards. Of course you could ask for them for presents for other occasions as well.

3. Watch for them to go on sale.  I know that seems like something I shouldn't have to say, but there I said it. Sometimes brands phase out a color or style, or a store is trying to clear out a previous version. Lucky for you, you're not all that picky about what it looks like right?

My dad always told me, "If you take care of your tools, your tools will take care of you."  I didn't take that too seriously until I started buying (and rebuying) my own stuff. Some items make no difference if you put them in the dishwasher.  I'm pretty quick to throw stuff in the top rack, so it's not near the heating element. Just rinse them when you finish using them so they don't get all caked in junk before you put them in the dishwasher. My knives though, are something I'm very meticulous about. Hand wash only if I can help it. I've seen a lot of knives get spotted and rusty from years of being put in the dishwasher and not drying well.  And since I can't afford to go buy another set of what we got as gifts, I make sure to take special care of them (My wife thinks I'm a little obsessive; don't listen to her). Whatever your gadget is, it should come with cleaning and care instructions. I definitely recommend following those instructions, especially if you paid for decent tools.  If you take care of them, they can last for years and years.

One more thing, and I promise I'm not being paid to say this: Cutco knives have an amazing warranty.  I say this not so that you'll go find some kid selling Cutco knives, but in case you find one in a parking lot.  My grandma found one in a parking lot one time, all rusty and jankity-looking.  Cutco will resharpen any of their knives for you, and if they can't fix the knife they replace it.  And the best part is there's no proof of purchase required (presumably so you can give them as gifts). So my grandmother found an abandoned knife, sent it in and received a brand new Cutco-quality knife. ALL FOR FREE. It doesn't happen every day, I just wanted to let you know so you didn't bypass one on the road.


Happy Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Share your successes or failures with these or other recipes. Give suggestions for substitutions. Don't be a jerk or I'll have to start moderating which is annoying.